Thursday, June 19, 2014

why UTMB?

A few years ago, early in my trail running phase, my friend Joe was telling us about this race around Mt. Blanc.  For me, 100 milers were still in the realm of crazy stuff, but something about this particular event really grabbed me.  The idea of a route through alpine passes but also through villages with spectators cheering all day and night, the philosophy of self-sufficiency, and the sheer hype of the event, not to mention the physical challenge - all set this event apart.

So on the bucket list went UTMB.  It was 2-3 years more before I got serious about it.  Just getting registered is a bit of a process.  First you need to complete sufficient qualifying races over a 2 year period to be considered (a 100 miler plus a 100k will usually do).  Then you must enter the lottery.  Then you have to beat the odds - 1st year candidates probably have a 20-30% chance of being drawn; chances improve the 2nd year.  So this January, my 2nd year trying, I got in!  Then it's a mad dash to get flights and accommodations before they're gone - Chamonix is a very popular place that week.

Now UTMB is consuming many of my waking and sleeping hours.  Although I've completed a couple of reasonably challenging 100 milers, UTMB is out of my comfort zone for a few reasons (and that's a good thing!).  First, it's more physically demanding due to a very steep course (about 30,000' of climbing).  Second, it's in a region that is not familiar to me.  French is the main language, and English may be about 4th down the list!  Third, it starts at the strange time of 5:30pm, which guarantees lots of night running for everyone.  Fourth, the race style is quite different from races in the States - there are certain rules, required equipment to carry, and different kinds of food at aid stations.  Bring it on!

You might think I'm very focused on being ready for race day.  Okay, that's true.  But a bigger draw is the process that will get me there.  UTMB gives me an excuse to do epic training runs.  I'm very lucky to live in an area with fantastic running options, hundreds of miles of mountain and wilderness trails within an hour's drive.  It's a year of major exploration for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment