Friday, August 22, 2014

UTMB training


Obviously UTMB calls for some serious training.  My approach may be a little unconventional.  I start with the broad view that I need to get used to what I will encounter during the race.  The elements include-

1.       Endurance (duh). 
2.       Steep grades - average grade = 18km/168km = 11%
3.       Technical terrain - rocky, slippery
4.       Loaded running pack – required gear for self-sufficiency and safety
5.       Thinner air - 1000-2500m altitude
6.       No pacing (and no crew for many of us)
7.       Different food – aid stations have bread, cheese, salami, and fruit but not the GU’s and stuff we Americans are used to
8.       Lots of night running.  Race starts at 5:30pm!
9.       Mountain weather.  Anything could happen.
10.   English is not the main language.

As I type this, I’m getting worried again!  So let’s break it down.

For the couple of previous hundreds I've done, a gradual ramp up in training over 5-6 months, peaking about 60-65 miles per week worked well.  I felt burnout was not too far off, partly because of hard efforts in races along the way.  UTMB called for tougher training, so I took a careful approach trying to find the fine line between under- and over-training. 

Winter - Foundation:. Stay in running shape, minimal stress.  I lay low until early spring, usually just running ~30 miles/week.  My body needs a bit of easy time to recover from a good season.

Spring - Ramping up.  Around April, I started increasing the effort.  The mileage increased to ~40 mpw, and weekly I sought steeper terrain than usual.  This included less popular steep routes in Forest Park, and driving to the Gorge when possible.  There’s no motivator like making training itself fun and adventurous.  I’m lucky to live near hundreds of miles of fantastic technical and steep trails.  I avoided long races, but I entered a few short events to throw in a bit of speed work.

Summer - Peak: I’ve worked up to 75 mpw.  My longest run was the 60 mile Trans-Gorge adventure on Solstice.  On a family trip to Colorado, I got some sweet high-altitude runs in (up to 3800m!).  I added a couple of 40m runs around Mt Hood (one each direction), terrain which is (I’m hoping) similar to that on Mt. Blanc.  I’ve been getting got some good power-hiking practice and familiarity with my new running poles. 
 
Along the way, I've worked on downhill efficiency, a "forever" jog, and relaxation.  In short, I'm happy with the training I've done; should take care of items 1-6.

Along the way, I’ve made a point of eating more “slow food” than GU’s and such.  My favorites have been turkey avocado sandwiches, Amy’s frozen burritos, Trail Butter <link>, cheese, and crackers.  This is not quite the bread/cheese/salami that I’ll find in Europe, but it’s getting there.  I’ve come to realize that I need to take in a few more calories on the run, based on recovery issues.  I think 250 kcal/hour is about right for me.  With luck, that takes care of 7.

I haven’t worried too much about conditioning myself to running in the dark, but I've snuck in a few night runs.  I’m going to approach the race by having a good light (and a good spare).  I’ve experimented with wearing my MYO RXP light at the waist, which works better in fog and shows the rocks and roots better.  #8 done.

Weather.  Unfortunately, the weather this summer in Oregon has been sunny and warm, so no cold/wet conditioning for me.  I’m counting on the extensive compulsory gear list to save me when the mountains turn mean (and I assume they will).  Hopefully a good mindset will get me through #9.

I took French in high school.  I was not a good student.  Later, I took German, which overwrote most of the few brain cells I had capable of foreign language.  When I try to say something in French, it sometimes comes out in German.  If anything comes out at all.  So I expect communication to often be reduced to grunting and hand gestures, in the grand tradition of adventurous travelers everywhere.  It would have been nice to brush up on my French, but I spent all my spare time running, and besides what if I need to go to Germany next? 

With 6 days to go, I'm in the middle of the Taper.  My first taper run was a 27 mile Gorge loop last week with Phil (Eagle-Tanner) that intimidated me just a few years ago.  Now with just a week to go, I’m down to shorter runs and some power hiking on my hilly neighborhood trails.  When I get to Chamonix 5 days before the race, I will do a 3-day hut hike along a part of the course that will be dark on race day.  That way I can familiarize, see those sights, and try to keep loose without taxing my body.  I might even jog a few spots!  I’m really looking forward to this part, which will be the best opportunity to soak in the landscape.  The final 2 days prior will be hanging out near Chamonix in a B&B, checking in, looking for friends old and new (mostly new).  Chamonix becomes a non-stop party this week, with other races happening and thousands of runners and associates packing the place.  It will be hard to avoid getting amped!
 
Allez, allez!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment